Who's Havelock? The name Havelock comes from Henry Havelock, who served in the British Army in India throughout the first Burma War (1824-26), the first Afghan War (1839), and the Sikh Wars (1843-49). During the Indian Uprising in Northern India he recaptured Cawnpore (Kanpur) in July 1857, but too late to save the British population from massacre.
Henry Havelock became a hero throughout the British Empire through relieving Lucknow in September 1857, through a bold attack costing 500 casualties. He died on 24th November 1857, just a few days after the siege had been finally lifted by General Campbell's relieving force. Havelock was named in his honour, as were many such towns and streets in the British Empire.
Sitting on a gold mine: It was the Wakamarina gold that made Havelock – but the potential gold bearing ground was very restricted, and the rush was short lived. Over subsequent decades mining companies worked the gold on a large scale but only one made a profit. By the 1880s, the easy gold had been worked out and the accessible timber had been cut from the nearby hills. Havelock was referred to as dying but timber-milling, flax-processing and farming throughout the district prevented it from expiring.
1853: Non-reserve Maori land in the northwest of the
South Island purchased by the Land Commissioner.
1853: Ngati Kuia released Motueka as the only possible
site for a township.
1858: Havelock laid out by surveyor Alexander Ogg.
1860: Havelock consisted of one house, a publican charged
with ferrying travelers across the Kaituna river.
1864: Gold Rush at Wakamarina. Havelock boomed as the
port servicing the diggings.
1866: First school-classes held.
1867: Telegraph connection to Blenheim and Nelson.
1870: Havelock to Nelson track via the Rai Valley, the line of
the modern road, available to travelers.
1876: Government building (Post Office)
1883: Substantial school built. This building is now the
Rutherford YHA and Havelock Infocentre.
More about the history of Havelock